F/V Isabel and Lilee X Chef Michele Grillo
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp butter/oil (optional)
- 1 cup any type of rice
Bring the water to boil in a medium saucepan. Add the salt and butter and allow the butter to melt.
When the water has returned to a boil, stir in the rice. Let the water return to a light simmer. Stir again, cover the pot, and turn the heat down to low. Keep the rice simmering slightly, and keep the pot covered (you may have to peek after a few minutes to make sure the heat is at the correct temperature, but then let it cook, covered). Start checking to see if the rice is tender and all the liquid is absorbed at about 10-17 minutes.
When the rice is cooked, turn off the heat and let it sit for another couple of minutes to finish absorbing any liquid. Take off the lid, fluff the rice with a fork and let it sit for another 2 minutes or so, so that some of the excess moisture in the rice dries off.
Citrus Scallop Ingredients:
- 2-3 Tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 ½ - 2 lb. Sea Scallops, remove attached muscle.
- Juice of 1 orange, about 4-5 Tablespoons
- Juice of 1 lemon, about 3 Tablespoons
- 1 Tablespoon fresh grated ginger root
- 2 – 3 Tablespoons butter or ghee
- Sea salt or kosher salt
Citrus Scallop Preparation:
Clean scallops, remove attached muscle and pat dry.
Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium high to high. When oil is nearly smoking, place the scallops in the pan for 1-2 minutes per side, be careful not to overcrowd so they do not boil. Remove seared scallops and set aside.
In the same pan, reduce the heat to medium, add the orange juice, lemon juice, ginger, and butter. Whisk sauce together until simmering. Turn heat off and add back the scallops to coat with the sauce.
Spinach Pesto Sauce Ingredients:
- 2-3 Cups clean fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup toasted pine nuts, substitute walnut, pecan, or hazelnut.
- 5 cloves of garlic peeled.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice or 1 fresh lemon
- ¾ cup olive oil
- ½ cup parmesan or Romano cheese, optional
Spinach Pesto Sauce Preparation:
Blend all the above ingredients except the olive oil and cheese in a blender or food processor, then drizzle in the olive oil. If using cheese fold in by hand.