By: Chef Michele Grillo
Sea Scallop Pesto Purse Ingredients:
- 8 sheets of phyllo pastry
- 4 Tablespoons melted butter
- 2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3-1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2-3 Tablespoons pesto, store bought or homemade
- 12 Sea Scallops with muscle removed
- 1 handful fresh parsley chopped
- Pastry or barbeque brush
Sea Scallop Pesto Purse Preparation:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 if baking or can be made early in the day and refrigerated.
2. Line a sheet or cookie pan with parchment paper.
3. Combine oil and butter.
4. Stack the sheets of phyllo dough on the counter or workspace and cover with damp towel to prevent drying out. Place one sheet on surface and lightly brush with combined olive oil and butter, sprinkle some parmesan or grated cheese and fresh parsley. Cover with a second piece of phyllo dough and repeat this until there are four layers. Using a knife, I use a pizza cutter, cut the sheets length wise in half, then crosswise into thirds so you have six equal sections. Place one scallop into the center of the cut square and spoon a little pesto on top. Gather the corners and press together like a pouch. Repeat with remaining phyllo and scallops.
Place onto sheet pan and bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Purses can be assembled early, refrigerated, and baked later in the day.