By Chef: Michele Grillo
Featuring F/V Isabel and Lilee Dayboat Scallops
Avocado Cream Sauce Ingredients
2 ripe avocados
1 cup (8oz) sour cream or créme fraîche
3 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 small shallot minced
½ tsp kosher or sea salt
Cilantro or basil leaves, optional
Avocado Cream Sauce Instructions
Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until completely smooth.
Taste and adjust seasoning for salt and flavor.
Cover and refrigerate.
Spinach Tortillas Ingredients
- Couple large handfuls of fresh baby spinach
- ¾ cup of milk, can use coconut, almond milk, or other milk substitute
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup olive oil or melted butter
- 1 tsp kosher or sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
Spinach Tortillas Directions
- Warm milk to hot, not boiling
- Add hot milk and fresh spinach to blender and process until combined
- In a medium size bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder, oil or butter, and add warm spinach mixture.
- Mix all together with a spoon or hands and knead for about 5 minutes until smooth.
- Once dough is smooth, cover and let rest for about 20 minutes, covered.
- Divide dough into about 20-24 pieces and roll into balls and place on floured or parchment lined baking sheet and cover, let rest about 20 minutes.
- Roll tortillas out as thin as possible.
- Heat a cast iron pan to medium high and place tortilla in pan and using tongs flip the tortilla over after about 1 minute and then another 30 seconds after flipping, remove.
- Tortillas can be made ahead 3-4 days, sealed tightly in the refrigerator.
- Approximately 12 large sea scallops, sliced in half or width
- 1 cup sliced green cabbage
- 1 cup sliced iceberg lettuce
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 diced mango, optional
- 2-3 radishes, julienned or minced
- spinach tortillas (Michele's homemade tortillas or store-bought)
- Avocado Cream sauce (Michele's homemade sauce)
Scallop Taco Directions
- Make the avocado cream sauce, refrigerate.
- Make the flour tortillas, keep warm.
- Combine the cabbage, lettuce, 1 tsp vinegar, 1 tbsp olive oil, set aside.
- Combine 2 tbsp lime juice and 2 tbsp olive oil with scallops and let marinate for 10-15 minutes.
- Prepare grill or medium sauté pan.
- Remove the scallops from the marinade and pat with paper towel to remove excess marinade.
- On high heat, quickly sear and brown the scallops. Remove from pan and set aside. Fill each tortilla with some scallops, cabbage mixture, mango and radishes, top with avocado cream sauce and serve.