Poached Sea Scallops in Cream Sauce with Tomatoes Ingredients:
By: Chef Michele Grillo
- 3 tbsp butter, unsalted or salted
- 2 shallots thinly chopped
- 1 tsp celery seeds
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dry wine or vermouth
- 4 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup heavy or whipping cream
- 1-2 lbs fresh sea scallops
- Additional fresh herbs for garnish
Orzo pasta Ingredients:
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp salt Pepper, optional
- 2 cups of water or broth, vegetable, or chicken
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- Cherry tomatoes, corn, fresh vegetables chopped, all optional
- Handful of fresh basil chiffonade or chopped
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, optional
How to Cook Poached Sea Scallops in Cream Sauce:
1. Heat a large skillet or pan over medium high heat and melt the butter and then sweat the shallot until soft. Add celery seeds, tomatoes and salt and pepper, about 1 pinch, ½ teaspoon. Bring to a simmer until fully cooked and a little Jamy, about 10 minutes.
2. Increase heat to high and add the wine or vermouth and cook until almost evaporated for about 5 minutes.
3. Add the Worcestershire and cream and simmer for a few minutes.
4. Season the Scallops with salt and pepper and add to the cream mixture, let gently simmer until scallops are cooked through, 4-6 minutes depending on the size of the scallops.
5. Serve with additional chopped fresh herbs.
How to Cook the Orzo Pasta:
1. Heat the olive oil in a quart size sauce pot and add the onions. Season with salt and pepper and stir until soft, about 7-8 minutes. If using or adding additional vegetables, add them and cook an additional 8-9 minutes until all vegetables are soft.
2. Add the orzo and water or broth and simmer with the lid on for 10 minutes. Add the parmesan and basil.
Leave a comment