By: Chef Michele Grillo
BLT Sea Scallop Bites Ingredients:
- 4 slices thick cut bacon, cut into 12 serving slices and cooked.
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 12 large sea scallops
- 6 cherry or grape tomatoes
- 12 toothpicks or small wooden skewers
Basil Mayo Ingredients:
- ½ cup mayonnaise, any type
- 1 small bunch fresh basil leaves chopped or julienne.
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon celery salt or celery seed
- Lettuce, optional
Bites and Sauce Preparation:
1. In small bowl combine the basil mayo ingredients and refrigerate until ready to serve
2. Pat the scallops dry and sprinkle ground pepper and sugar.
3. In clean skillet or frying pan, add the bacon drippings and over high heat cook the scallops about 2 minutes per side, until caramelized.
4. Cut the grape tomatoes in half so you have 12 halves.
Make the scallop BLT stacks:
1. Cut one sea scallop in half and thread on small wooden skewer or toothpicks in order: ½ scallop, 1 half cherry tomato, 1 piece of bacon, the other half of scallop.
2. Finish remaining scallop stacks and serve with basil mayo dipping sauce. Can also use lettuce in the stacks.